#FITRecipe: Try Our Healthy Loaded Granola Recipe
It is that time of the year when kids noses are buried deep in books as they pull off late nights and early mornings. Meanwhile, parents are constantly worried if their child is getting enough nutrition. It is time for exams and with that pressure is really on!
And the pressure is real.
With the growing stress of studies and results these days, teenagers are studying harder than ever.
I think one of the things that we can do is to give them foods that will help them focus and boost their brainpower. Foods that help them keep stress under control. We provide them the basic and let them focus on studies.
Here is a list of foods that you can include to aid your child with his/her exam preparation:
- Nuts - Nuts are rich in Vitamin E and Omega 3 fatty acids which aids the brain development. Soaked and sprouted nuts are a great addition to your child’s diet on a regular basis and not just during stress periods.
- Seeds - Pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, melon seeds can be some of the best brain food we can give to kids. Easily absorbed, plant based Omega 3 fatty acids are great superfoods.
- Eggs - ‘Sunday ho ya Monday, roz khao Ande’ isn’t just a jingle from our childhood. It is one of the best nutritional advice out there. Excellent protein and good fats help in brain focus among many other things.
- Green Vegetables - A bowl of sauteed spinach or steamed broccoli may not be anyone’s idea of comfort food but it does wonders for your brain. It not only helps in building focus but also helps regulate cortisol levels which keeps stress at bay.
- Avocados - Avocados are rich in so many vitamins that one can easily lose track of it. Vitamin K, B, folates and Vitamin C , all of them are important to build immunity and maintain healthy blood flow to the brain.
- Coconut Oil - Coconut oil has natural anti-inflammatory properties, suppressing cells responsible for inflammation and keeps the brain healthy and ready for all the stress.
Also Read : Eat These 5 Happy Foods to Make 2018 Happier
Almost all of these ingredients and foods are fairly easy to include in your diet. Even as snacking options.
Here is a loaded granola recipe that works as a breakfast or snack depending on how you eat it.
Recipe: Loaded Granola
To make the loaded granola:
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Mix all the dry ingredients together except the raisins and cranberries.
- Whisk together coconut oil and honey until smooth. Combine the wet and the dry ingredients in a large bowl until the mixture is moistened.
- Spread the mixture on the baking sheet in a thin layer.
- Bake for one hour, stirring it slightly every 20 minutes or so. During the last 20 minutes, stir in the raisins and cranberries.
- Once cool, store the bars in an airtight container. The granola will last for a month or so.
(Monika Manchanda is an ex-IT professional turned into a food blogger, consultant, home baker and an amateur food photographer. She loves music, writing, food, and travel, but not necessarily in that order! She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org)
(FIT is now available on Telegram. To receive handpicked stories on topics you care about, subscribe us on Telegram)