FIT WebQoof: Can Drinking Cough Syrup With Milk Kill You?
A viral message says that a mother ‘accidentally killed her children’ after she fed them cough syrup mixed in milk, because the mixture is poisonous.
True or False?
Speaking to FIT, Dr Ankit Prasad, consultant pediatric at Fortis hospital said, “There are many types of cough syrups and these should all be avoided with thick liquids like milk, shakes, smoothies. This gives the person gastritis. But NO, it is not poisonous.”
Mixing milk and cough syrup to make the syrup go down easily in a child is not toxic, but it does cause other problems, especially for young children.
He adds, “This is especially true when giving the medicine to children — who will typically have a cough reflex or vomit if they have cough syrup and milk.”
It could cause ‘post-tussive vomitting’, which is seen in people with severe coughs.
What About Thin Liquids?
Dr Prasad advises that cough syrup should be taken with one or two sips of water or juice — anything thin.
(Not convinced of a post or information you came across online and want it verified? Send us the details on WhatsApp at 9910181818, or e-mail it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll fact-check it for you. You can also read all our fact-checked stories here)
(Make sure you don't miss fresh news updates from us. Click here to stay updated)