Amitabh Bachchan’s History of Injuries and Health Battles
Amitabh Bachchan has reportedly fallen ill during a shoot in Jodhpur. Here’s a look at Big B’s history of illness.
Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan has sent his fans in a frenzy after he wrote in his blog that his team of doctors was flying in to “fiddle around with his body”. The actor is currently shooting in Jodhpur for ‘Thugs of Hindostan.’ and put up this blog post early morning on Tuesday.
I am getting my team of Doctors in tomorrow morning to fiddle around with my body and set me up again .. i will rest and keep informed in process ..Amitabh Bachchan in his blog
The source of his illness is not known yet, but he is said to be stable.
Bachchan, however, has battled various injuries and illnesses in the past, including tuberculosis, Hepatitis B, and myasthenia gravis.
Just last month in February, he was briefly hospitalised for pain in lower back, spine and neck.
Earlier in 2005, he underwent a major surgery for inflammation and perforation of small and large intestines at Lilavati Hospital and was out of action for at least a month.
In the past, he has mentioned in his blog that his “stiff neck and shoulder pain” are a result of past injuries from stunts he did in the 1970s and 1980s.
His injuries due to an accident on the sets of ‘Coolie’ in 1982, have given him a lot of trouble throughout his life, most of which he details in his blog.
In 2015, he made a startling revelation that he’s living “only on 25 per cent of his liver today, having lost the rest 75 percent to the deadly Hepatitis B virus.”
In a PTI report, he was quoted as saying:
Hepatitis B came to me accidentally. After my accident on the sets of Coolie, I was infused with the blood of about 200 donors and 60 bottles of blood were injected into my system... One of my blood donors was carrying Hepatitis B virus which went into my system. I continued to function normally till year 2000 and almost 18 years after the accident, during a very normal medical checkup, I was told that my liver was infected and I had lost 75 per cent of my liver.
He adds, “So, if I am standing here today, you are looking at a person who is surviving with 25 per cent of liver. That is the bad part. The good part is you can survive even with 12%. But no one wants to get to that stage.”
In addition, he suffers from myasthenia gravis, a neuromuscular disease he was diagnosed with in 1984. It’s characterised by weakness and rapid fatigue of any of the muscles under your voluntary control. It’s incurable but treatment can help relieve signs and symptoms.
Bachchan has also battled tuberculosis (TB) of the spine, at a time he was resurrecting his career while shooting for popular game show Kaun Banega Crorepati in year 2000.
While speaking at an event to spread tuberculosis awareness, he is quoted as saying:
In 2000, I was detected with TB and went through a very rigorous treatment for almost a year. I contracted TB on the day I was going to start TV show KBC. It was a TB of spine. It’s very uncomfortable. You cannot sit or lie down. Most of the time, I was on 8-10 pain killers a day just to survive the period when I was anchoring the game show.
He’s been a strong survivor through all his illnesses, writing about his issues and being at the forefront of spreading awareness.
(Subscribe to FIT on Telegram)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter Now.