Woman’s Fatal Allergic Reaction to Hair Dye Lands Her in Hospital
The 19-year-old’s head measured 63 cm rather than the average 56. 
The 19-year-old’s head measured 63 cm rather than the average 56. (Photo: iStockphoto)

Woman’s Fatal Allergic Reaction to Hair Dye Lands Her in Hospital

“I almost died.”

These were the words of a young French woman, Estelle, when her head swelled up to an abominably massive size after she applied a dark-colored hair dye.

Speaking to the French news outlet Le Parisien, she explained that a chemical in the dye, Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) was the reason behind the reaction. This chemical is a common component of many other hair dyes and cosmetic products.

Upon application, her head almost immediately started itching, followed by swelling in a short while. She took an antihistamine and used a cream she bought from a pharmacy, but the swelling remained the next day too.

“I could not breathe.”
“I could not breathe.”
(Photo Courtesy: Le Parisien)
My forehead had doubled in volume. My head was like a light bulb.
Estelle

When her tongue swelled and she started having trouble breathing, she was rushed to the hospital’s emergency room and was given a doze of adrenaline.

The teenager shared that she had not followed the instructions properly. She used the allergy test that comes with the product, but instead of waiting for 48 hours before applying the dye, she did it after 30 minutes.

It’s true that she didn’t follow the instructions word by word, but the warning has to be clearer.
Estelle’s mother

Since PPD is found in many dark-colored hair dyes and makeup, the young girl’s experience cautions all others to be careful and fully aware before using any of these products.

Also Read : Coloured Hair or Monsoon Mess? These 4 DIY Hair Masques Will Help

(FIT is now on WhatsApp. To receive handpicked stories on topics you care about, subscribe to our WhatsApp services. Click here and hit the Send button.)

Follow our Health News section for more stories.

    Also Watch