The Essential Diet Guide for Pregnant Women in Summers
Pregnancy is a milestone moment in a woman’s life and while celebrating it she needs to be aware of how she can safe guard her future and the future of her child by maintaining a healthy and balanced lifestyle.
Surround your self with as much love as you can during the course of your pregnancy as this has a positive impact on the child. Try keeping away from stressful situations which have a direct impact on your breathing, blood pressure and heart rate.
As far as the diet is concerned it should include the following:
- Dairy products provide the body with calcium, protein, vitamin B, magnesium and zinc. Yogurt is full of probiotics and helps keep the gut strong.
- Legumes such as lentils, peas, beans, chickpeas are great sources of fibre, iron and folate.
- Egg is packed with high quality protein, vitamins and minerals. It also contains choline which reduces the chances of brain malfunction in the foetus.
- Citrus fruits are packed with Vitamin C and antioxidants. Eating whole grains may help women meet the increased calorie requirement especially in the second and third trimester.
- Staying hydrated is a great idea as the blood volume increases up to 15 litres during pregnancy.
- Gaining weight during pregnancy is normal but eating healthy will help you return to your normal weight in a shorter time span post pregnancy.
- Dried fruits are great snacking options as they are generally high in calories, fibre and various vitamins and minerals including folate, iron and potassium.
If you are troubled by morning sickness eating whole wheat toast is a great idea. Having said that do not skip breakfast as it will provide you with the required energy to start the day. Stay away from fish with high levels of mercury such as Swordfish, King Mackerel and Albacore Tuna.
Avoid drinking alcohol and caffeine during pregnancy and most obviously stop smoking as it causes developmental issues with the foetus.
(Mickey Mehta is a leading global holistic health guru and a corporate life coach.)