5 Benefits of Oil Cleansing for Healthy And Radiant Skin
Cleansing, toning and moisturizing is an important part of our daily skincare regimen. A clean skin is always a bliss; an even skin tone, no blemishes, nourished complexion and more. Cleansing the skin helps to get rid of the make-up, dirt, grime and the pollutants you may have been exposed to all through the day.
Anyone can do oil-cleansing provided you use the right blend of oils. Let’s look at how to oil cleanse and its benefits.
How to Oil Cleanse?
If you are a make-up person, it is recommended that you oil cleanse the previous night. Sleeping with the make up on is not going to help you make your skin better.
What You Need for an Oil Cleanse?
A soft wash cloth, oil cleanser and a bowl of hot water.
Process of Oil Cleansing
- Take about a teaspoonful of oil and massage between the palms to make the oil slightly warm.
- Starting with the neck and moving on the chin, cheeks and forehead, rub the oil in circular motion.
- Start massaging gently to boost the circulation and remove all traces of make-up, dirt and grime.
- Using slow, yet firm motions, let the oils penetrate deep into the pores. This is like a mini abhyanga or a self-massage that you do only for the face and neck.
- Since you are oil cleansing at the end of the day, make sure that you unwind as you indulge in this mini massage. Play some music you like or light up your favorite fragranced candles to induce a sense of calm and relaxation. Let the oil stay for a few minutes.
- Dip your wash cloth is slightly hot water, wring off excess water and place it on your face for a while to let it relax your skin.
- Now, wipe your skin to remove the oils. You may need to do this a couple of times to ensure the oil has been completely wiped off the face and neck. Warm water helps to soften the pores and remove the oils.
- Pat your face dry with a soft towel, if you have extremely dry skin, you may need to follow up with a night serum or moisturizer.
What Types of Oils Can You Use to Oil Cleanse the Skin?
You can use pure coconut oil, sunflower oil, castor oil, avocado oil and grape seed oil to cleanse your skin. It is important that you choose oils that are preferably therapeutic grade and made with 100% natural and organic ingredients because your skin will absorb the oil.
Recommended Oil Blends
- Oily Skin: 1 tablespoon of castor oil mixed with 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil.
- Normal Skin: Half a tablespoon of castor oil blended with 1.5 tablespoon of sunflower oil.
- Acne Prone or Sensitive Skin: 1/4th tablespoon of castor oil, 1/2 tablespoon of sunflower oil and 1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil.
- Dry Skin: 1/4th tablespoon each of castor oil and sunflower oil and 1 tablespoon of avocado oil.
Depending your skin type, you will need to blend the oils accordingly. Castor oil is the main oil that you use when you opt for oil cleansing. You can mix it with these carrier oils – coconut, sunflower, almond, olive, jojoba, avocado and grapeseed. Do not use essential oils in any of these blends.
5 Benefits of Oil Cleansing
When you use an array of natural products, it is bound to be beneficial for your skin. Here are some benefits of oil cleansing that you should know.
- Natural and non-toxic: Since you are using pure and therapeutic grade oils, you are keeping the chemicals at bay. Plant based oils are natural and much better than the chemical counterparts available in the market.
- Hydrates and moisturizes the skin: The oils will keep your skin hydrated and nourished long after you have done the oil cleansing. It is recommended to perform the cleansing at night so that your skin receives hydration all night long.
- Gets rid of acne: It’s a myth that oil cleansing cannot be done by people who have oily or acne prone skin. When you use the right blend of oils, oil cleansing not just helps to remove traces of dirt, but also helps to balance oil production. When the sebum production is regulated, acne is under control.
- Works as a make-up remover: Even massaging your skin with pure coconut oil will work to clean your skin off the make-up. Rather than using a harsh alternative, an oil will not just clean your skin but also nourish it.
- Great looking skin: Most oils that are used in oil cleansing are rich in antioxidants. They help to neutralise damaging free radicals that are the main cause of wrinkles and premature aging. A regular massage with these oils will also impart a healthy glow to your skin. If you need some pampering, add a few saffron strands in the oil and massage on your face and neck.
The oil cleansing method is suitable for all skin types. The results may not show immediately, so you have to be patient. Once your skin gets used to the oils, it will leave your skin hydrated and nourished. You may need to work combinations of oils to see which one is the most effective for your skin type.
This is one of the most purest and natural ways of cleansing your skin. And yes, it is important to not succumb to using the usual chemical laden alternatives because the results do not show up immediately.
(Pratibha Pal spent her childhood in idyllic places only fauji kids would have heard of. She grew up reading a variety of books that let her imagination wander and still hopes to come across the Magic Faraway Tree. When she's not rooting for eco-living or whipping up some DIY recipes to share with her readers, Pratibha is creating magic with social media. You can view her blog at www.pratsmusings.com or reach to her on Twitter at @myepica.)
(Have you subscribed to FIT’s newsletter yet? Click here and get health updates directly in your inbox.)