What Are Face Oils? Ten Reasons Why You Must Use Them This Winter
For many of us, the thought of applying oil to the face can seem a little odd. Applying oil to the rest of the body or having an oil massage seems more acceptable, but oil to the face? Well, this is actually a trend that's becoming quite popular nowadays!
What are Face Oils?
Face oils are just plant oils - either in combination or single ingredient oils. Many companies manufacture face oils for specific skin conditions, with added ingredients for more skin nutrition.
A lot of people confuse serums with face oils.
The main difference between serums and face oils is that oil molecules are larger in serums and they mostly would target the outer layers of the skin. A face oil, on the other hand contains hundreds of different sized molecules. A face oil can be used as a moisturiser.
How do Face Oils Work?
Oils provide nutrition and hydration to the skin. Face oils often contain plant extracts and some also have essential oils. They are packed with antioxidants, fatty acids and other nutrients, all of which protect the skin and nourish it, without causing any harm.
A face oil helps to boost hydration and keep your skin nourished for a longer time.
How Do You Use Face Oils?
Face oils can be used in two ways: one you leave it on the skin to absorb and second, you let it stay on the face for a few hours and wipe off with a towel soaked in warm water. Using a face oil is totally dependent on your skin type.
10 Reasons to Use a Face Oil this Winter
It’s a myth that face oils can make your skin look oily and make it prone to breakouts and acne. In truth, it can help to keep your skin nourished and hydrated. If you have excessively dry skin, incorporate it in your skin care routine all year round. Need more reasons to use a face oil?
Here are 10 reasons to use face oils during this season and how they can help.
- Face oils extends the work of your moisturizer by locking the moisture in. It seals in the nourishing ingredients of your moisturizer, making your skin stay hydrated for longer. Being lipophilic, oils can penetrate better into the skin.
- The right kind of face oil is gentle on the skin. Applying the face oil after any skin product or cream helps to control any irritation from it. This is particularly helpful for sensitive skin prone to rashes.
- A face oil can help you get soft, silky skin - instantly. The oil's fat-soluble vitamins acts as a conditioner on skin, making it smooth and even. This makes it easier to apply your concealer, foundation or other makeup.
- Most face oils contain Omega-3 fatty acids, which are known for their benefits. They calm the skin and prevent rashes. They also have anti-inflammatory properties, helping all skin conditions like dryness or acne to eczema or rosacea.
- Applying a face oil along with your other products increases their absorption into your skin. Active ingredients like retinol and glycolic acid are able to penetrate deeper into the skin with the help of the oil molecules.
- Face oils contain ‘skin-identical ingredients’. Our skin’s outer layers are oil-based, with fatty acids and ceramides. These are the same things found in face oils, making them more likely to be accepted and absorbed by the skin.
- A face oil is perfect if you'd like to add some anti-ageing power to your skin care routine. Face oils contain loads of antioxidants and other ingredients that increase collagen production and improves skin elasticity.
- Contrary to popular belief, a face oil will not make oily skin oilier - as long as you choose the right kind. A face oil does not send your oil glands into overdrive; instead, it helps balance the skin’s oil production by curbing excess oil production and minimizing pores.
- A face oil acts as a barrier protection, working both ways. On one hand, it keeps the moisture and hydrating ingredients in, while on the other hand, it keeps out pollutants, toxins and also protects against sun damage. This is particularly important in winter, when smog abounds in cities.
- With face oils, you get more bang for your buck. A few drops are enough to give you all the nourishing benefits you need. To get the same benefits from a moisturizer, you'll have to use 5 times the quantity.
When getting a face oil, avoid ones that are too heavy. Heavy oils sits on the skin for hours, not allowing it to breathe. Lighter oils have small molecules, and penetrate the skin without clogging pores.
(Pratibha Pal spent her childhood in idyllic places only fauji kids would have heard of. She grew up reading a variety of books that let her imagination wander and still hopes to come across the Magic Faraway Tree. When she's not rooting for eco-living or whipping up some DIY recipes to share with her readers, Pratibha is creating magic with social media. You can view her blog at www.pratsmusings.com or reach to her on Twitter at @myepica.)
(FIT is now on WhatsApp. To receive handpicked stories on topics you care about, subscribe to our WhatsApp services. Click here and hit the ‘Send’ button.)